Remembering the Past...

Thursday, November 11, 2010


Today we remember...
Today for brief moment we pause and we remember..
We pause on the 11 hour of the 11 day of the 11th month and give our silence
We give thanks to the men and woman who have fought for our freedoms as Canadians.
We gather in school, parks, halls, at home and together we Remember.
We pause to remember all the Fathers, uncles, Grandfathers, Brothers, and sons that did not come home that day, and we remember the ones who did come home to be with their families.

Remembrance day holds great memories for me as a child. We would get dressed up and make or way to the armoury for a Remembrance Day service. I am remembering the poppies, the bag pipes, the medals of all the veterans, the canon firing to mark 11 o'clock, the army men at the front that stood so still for so long, my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins gathered together. I remember the smells, the snow, the wind of those days.

I was thinking about what it might be like for these families, the not knowing, with no phone calls, TV updates, internet or email. To check the mail box everyday, to wonder and wait.

My own grandma waited to marry my grandpa and have kids until the war was over. She said that the world was a big place and that he should explore it..and make sure it was her that he truly loved. He spent his years with a picture of her tucked in his hat and one in his book writing letters to her. I think about how she must have felt, the not knowing, the hoping and praying for his safe return, so that they could marry and start a family. The thoughts of what she would do if he did not return, how would she survive it.

So today we remember and give thanks for all that we are and all that we have.


1 comment:

Kim said...

Amen, Sister! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Post a Comment